Des-Duren: The Tale of Nellander

Go down

Des-Duren: The Tale of Nellander

Post  Nellander on Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Author's Note:

I began writing this story about seven years ago. It began during a period of my life in which I was literally feeling like crap and needed to be lifted up. At the age of 22, I still turn to the story of Nellander the Paladin...and smile.

I was honestly inspired to do this by Carlisle...and as I've been meaning to explain it to most Midgardians, here it is.

Prologue:

In ancient times, the land of Des-Duren was a much simpler world with much simpler evil, or so the stories might tell. This is obviously untrue to those of us who study the flows of time.

For example: the story of Nellander Damaslar the Paladin who did battle with The Shadow Walking in the Light. It is true that he was a holy warrior of incredible prowess in battle...and it is also true that he died in his love's arms...his life's blood draining from a thousand wounds.

What isn't revealed is who the Shadow was...or why he did what he did. Humanizing evil simply will not do for a "children's tale." As we are not here as children, I have no problem with showing the truth...

The story of the King is filled with errors either used to make him seem bigger or...simply to cover gaping holes where the truth was expunged or censored. The truth-unfortunately-was very hard to find, but today, it all comes out.

Chapter 1: A Noble Birth

Nellander was born on the edge of a war-torn land to a family that neither cared about his existence nor seemed very pleased about it. At the age of five, he was thrown into the fields to work from sun-up to sunset.

When that failed to kill their unwanted son, his parents set him to protecting the sheep. In this role, the seven year-old Nellander learned about death. Indeed, he faced it every day...whether it was against the dire wolves of the north or other heinous creatures.

It is here that my narration becomes flawed. And thus, we must see the rest of the tale through his eyes...

Part 1 Coming Soon...
Nellander

Character sheet
Awesome 'o' Meter:
100/100  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Re: Des-Duren: The Tale of Nellander

Post  Carlii-Kun on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:13 am

Very Happy Cool! I can't wait for part one. That prologue was good, it gets me thinking of how it ended up that way, and gets me excited for the ending ^^. Nice one Nell.

5/5
lol! <--- Lol, Goku
Carlii-Kun

Character sheet
Awesome 'o' Meter:
100/100  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nellander on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:48 pm

Part 1:

Early morning. I woke up to a pail of water thrown into my face and my father's rough voice telling me to get to work.

I always ate away from the others, my plate thrown out onto the porch. Thus, the day began, my mouth moving unconsciously. The brackish sludge that was my porridge barely bothered me anymore.

Hefting my staff, I wandered out into the fields and ambled over to my flock. My left arm could barely move...the pain of trying enough to stop me from doing so again. I feared it was broken.

Several hours would pass before I realized that I was thinking about my parents...and about how I could so easily kill both. A weak, female voice told me no, that I should not kill them. It came from the staff...I could've sworn it.

As I sat there alone, a man placed his hand on my right shoulder, "I've finally found you."

He turned me around quickly but gently and said, "Yes, yes...you are obviously the one I've been looking for. What's your name, boy?"

I was dumbfounded by the man's reactions to seeing me, but I managed to stutter my name into six syllables. The big man had pale skin and soft, blue eyes and black hair. He explained to me that he was the herald of Lord Rygiel, the king's personal protector.

Just as soon as he explained this, a pair of mounted figures approached. One was a boy of around my age with silver hair and green eyes. He smiled in an innocent way and wore wolf robes. The other was a truly awesome sight to behold...

Simply put, this man must have been Lord Rygiel whose prowess in battle was legendary. He nodded at his herald and smiled a warm smile, "That will do, Francis. Please report to the house..."

As soon as the herald Francis was gone, the boy and the Lord dismounted simultaneously. Lord Rygiel stared at me. So did the boy.

"So you are Nellander Damaslar."

"How do you know of me, milord?" I tried to keep my voice steady, but it shook nonetheless. I cursed myself for the flaw and waited patiently.

He scratched his chin and explained, "Because I have been searching for you...or someone like you. Nellander, you have crossed the threshold of death dozens of times...and transcended it." He pointed to the staff and explained how he knew it in three words, "She called out to me...and told me of your potential."

At this, the boy interrupted, "Should I show him, my lord?"

"Please do, Ghallan." His eyes never came off of me, "Your staff told me you have the potential to become one of us." He waved his arm slightly.

At that, Ghallan muttered under his breath and then cried out as his form exploded in blinding light. When the light cleared, the young boy was replaced by a figure wearing silver armor coated in images of wolves.

"You will become a paladin...and together, we will destroy evil."

Part 2 coming soon...
Nellander

Character sheet
Awesome 'o' Meter:
100/100  (100/100)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: